Thursday, November 26, 2009

I need to start hanging out with people my own age

So I took a little field trip to Saint Denis recently. In Saint Denis there is this huge basilica that houses all but three of the dead Kings of France, many of their spouses, nobles, and relatives. Instead of attempting to convince someone to take a half hour metro ride into a banlieue with me to go see nerdy historical things I figured I'd go by myself. Thus, including the two random British tourist twenty-somethings that showed up that day, there were only three people at the basilica under the age of 60. Whenever I started to listen to the tour guide all the old people would give me a look of "why the hell is this random girl here by herself?"
(old people)

Alas, it was pretty fucking awesome. The background story that I understand is that underneath the currently basilica there was a huge mess of people burried in sarcophaguses from the first millenium. After an archaeological dig about a decade or so ago, most of those tombs were brought upstairs to the main floor and are placed around the cathedral. Aka Holy Shit, there are people in these tombs and they are really really old. Another cool thing to think about is that these carved figures where actually painted with really beautiful bright colors but now they are just white, sad.

(archaelogical site under the crypt)
(tombs brought upstairs)

Final cool/weird thing. Down in the crypt, woooooo crypt (insert erry music here), is many of the Bourbon royalty. One of the things is Louis XVII's heart. Legit, it's his heart.



Other thing in the crypt is the graves of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, but funny story - their remains were taken out of a mass grave and put here, aka they could be their remains, they could not, who knows.

All in all, if you're in Paris and you have 3 hours to kill you should go. Especially because Saint Denis is a pretty cool city with alot of old buildings and a huge indoor marche right in the center of town, which is cool to walk through (even though I kept awkwardly getting hit on by random vendors since I showed up right as they were cleaning up and no one else was around).


(Henry and Catherine de Medici being all naked in their tomb. weird)

No comments:

Post a Comment